Spring is here, which means summer is just around the corner. Are you planning on applying for a job this summer? If so, here are some tips to help you get started.
Prepare a Resumé:
- A resumé is a 1 page document that tells the employer what experiences you have
- It should include:
- Your name, address, and contact information
- What school you go to and your estimated graduation date
- Other work, volunteer, or leadership experience you have, the time period you had this experience, and what some of your responsibilities are
- A list of 3 references with their contact information
- It's a good idea to have someone look your resumé over to catch any spelling/grammar mistakes
Make sure your social media is appropriate:
- Many employers look up candidates' social media profiles. Think twice when you're posting about whether you would want your future boss to see it and clean up anything that might be inappropriate.
- Make sure you know where to go and arrive 10-15 minutes early
- Wear clean clothes and try to look professional (avoid clothes with tears, pictures, or words written on them).
- Practice shaking hands with people. Your handshake should be firm but should not injure the person.
- Make eye contact and smile- confidence is key!
- Do not take your phone, earbuds, or electronics into the interview.
- Be prepared to answer questions like, "tell us about yourself" and "why do you want this job?"
- This is an opportunity for you to sell yourself! Be sure to include what experiences you have that will make you successful in this position.
- Practice what you're going to say ahead of time- it really does help!
- Answer questions in complete sentences