Doing National History Day and looking for help with your project? The Reference Services librarians can help you research like an expert! This year's theme is Triumph and Tragedy in History, and National History Day's Theme Book (PDF) will get you started thinking about your topic. Here at DPL, we selected topics from NHD's list and created research guides showing the library's resources like books and articles from our databases, as well as reliable websites for primary sources online. Still undecided on your topic? Take a look at our guides and maybe something will catch your eye!
If you've already decided on your topic but need help finding resources, there are lots of ways we can help:
- Log on to our Ask Us! chat service, where librarians are available 24/7 to help you find information.
- Schedule a one-on-one research appointment with a librarian. We offer appointments in person at the Central Library and Sam Gary Branch and online through our Ask Us! service.
- Send us an email and one of our expert librarians will get back to you and direct you to resources.
- Call us directly at 720-865-1363.
- Come to the Research Rendezvous at the Central Library on Sunday, February 10, 2019. Meet one-on-one with librarians and NHD experts to get help on everything from choosing a topic to writing your bibliography to creating your project. Visit the National History Day in Colorado events page for more info.
You can also access the library's premium resources on your own at home with your DPL card. If you don't have a library card, sign up for one online, and you'll get immediate access to the databases. The Social Studies Homework page is a great place to start, with lots of resources to search for primary and secondary sources like newspaper and magazine articles, speeches, photographs, and letters.
Whether you're an NHD novice or an old pro, writing a paper or producing a documentary, the library is here to help!