Welcome to the Denver Public Library Volunteer Program. Your work here is greatly appreciated by our staff. Please review the policies and guidelines set forth below. Acceptance of and compliance with these provisions during your service is required for your participation. While you are here:
- Adhere to your work schedule. Many of your duties are arranged in advance of your arrival. If due to an unexpected emergency you are unable to come, please call the designated library contact as soon as possible.
- Telephone use: Please make personal calls during your rest break.
- Name Badges: All Volunteers are required to wear name badges when on duty to provide easy identification to customers, co-workers and Security personnel.
- Kitchen and staff room use: Please feel free to use both the kitchen facilities and the staff room during breaks or your lunch/dinner time. Clean up thoroughly after you have finished in these areas.
- Food/Drink/Smoking: Food and drink should only be consumed in the kitchen and the staff room. According to City ordinances, all smoking must be done outside the building. All participants shall cooperate and comply with the provisions of Executive Order 94 and Attachment A thereto concerning the use, possession or sale of alcohol or drugs. Violation of these provisions or refusal to cooperate with implementation of the policy can result in the City’s barring the participant from City facilities or from participating in City operations.
- Confidentiality: The privacy of Library customers and co-workers must be respected at all times. State law requires that information regarding staff members, Library operation and registered users stored in any form—hard copy, computer or microfiche—is confidential and is made available only to staff and volunteers in the line of duty and to others only in response to a subpoena. This includes, but is not limited to, what people are reading, requesting and viewing on computer screens. If a volunteer is approached by media, police or others, you are asked to refer them to a branch or department manager.
- Selling: All Library volunteers and staff are prohibited from engaging in any solicitation or selling activities on Library property.
- The Library prohibits all forms of harassment and discrimination in the workplace. This includes, but is not limited to, harassment based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, military status, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical or mental disability.
- Co-workers and customers: In all interactions with customers and co-workers, treat these individuals with respect and courtesy.
- Volunteers are not covered under any Workers’ Compensation program for injuries that occur in the course of their volunteer assignment. Volunteers are not covered by - 2 - any liability insurance policy associated with the City and County of Denver or the Denver Public Library.
- Volunteers are required to inform the Central Library Volunteer Supervisor of any physical or medical condition that could threaten, harm, inhibit or otherwise impact his/her performance while completing his/her assigned hours at Denver Public Library.
- Volunteers are required to report any accident that occurs on Library premises to his/her immediate supervisor.
- Volunteers are unpaid human resources. If you have any questions about the completion of your Volunteer assignment, please ask your supervisor or any available staff member.
We would like to emphasize the importance of following these guidelines, for failure to do so may result, at the sole discretion of the Denver Public Library, in immediate dismissal.
I release the City and County of Denver, its elected and appointed officials, employees and volunteers from any and all claims including, but not limited to, claims for personal injury or damage to property resulting from, arising out of or related to my participation as a volunteer. This release includes, but is not limited to, alleged damages, injuries or claims arising out of negligent or other acts of employees of the City and County of Denver. I am voluntarily assuming the risk of any personal injury, loss or damage, which may result from any situation to which I am exposed. I agree to hold harmless and indemnify the City and County of Denver, its elected and appointed officials, employees and volunteers from any claim or demand asserted against the City and County of Denver, its elected and appointed officials, employees or volunteers as a result of any action I take during my placement. (If a court of law construes that any part of this release is invalid, such construction shall not invalidate the remainder of this release.) I have read this release, have no questions about its meaning and voluntarily accept the terms of this release by signing my name below.